Professional Development as a Software Developer
February 1st, 2019
20 mins 51 secs
About this Episode
How do you evolve as a developer and adapt to the ever-changing landscape of software development?
You can't know everything, but there are ways to keep up on what's important to your career or interests and today I talk about some of the resources available to keep evolving as a software developer.
The Daily Chron theme music, Rabbit Hole, is provided by the uber-talented E.Joseph.
- Hacking with Swift – learn to code iPhone and iPad apps with free Swift 4.2 tutorials — This kind of tutorial-based book/website can help you learn the foundations of a complicated topic, like a brand-new platform and language, in a relatively short amount of time.
- The Swift Programming Language (Swift 5) — The official guide to the Swift language.
- Unlimited Online Developer, IT and Cyber Security Training | Pluralsight — This is the online course system I've used most recently.
- NSScreencast: Bite-sized Screencasts for iOS Development — I love this bite-sized videos for learning new iOS related skills.
- Lets Build That App - YouTube — This is YouTube channel has been recommended to me, but I haven't explored it deeply, yet. YMMV.
- Recommended Reading for Developers — I've read or perused several of these books. There are some good recommendations in here, even if the list is old; good development techniques don't change as much as the tools do.
- A Philosophy of Software Design | Amazon.com — The book I'm currently reading.
- Philly CocoaHeads — Philly CocoaHeads is the Philadelphia area Mac and iOS programming group, a chapter of the worldwide CocoaHeads organization. Our mission is to help local developers learn and master Apple developer technologies through social events and community. All skill levels are welcome.
- Meetup — Find some developer meetups in your area here.